If you have an occupational accident

If you have an accident during working hours or a work trip, you will receive compensation based on your accident insurance and are entitled to sick pay in accordance with the applicable collective agreement. The employer is required by law to provide accident insurance for all employees.

Notify your supervisor of the accident immediately. He or she will give you an insurance certificate that entitles you to receive medical care free of charge. If you do not present an insurance certificate, you will have to pay for the treatment and medication yourself. You will be reimbursed later, if the employer’s insurance is valid.

Make sure that the employer submits a notice of the accident to the insurance company and that the notice is accurate. Also contact your occupational safety representative. If no occupational safety representative has been appointed, you can contact your trade union. If the accident is serious and there are grounds for suspecting an occupational safety violation, please contact the police.

While the employer is primarily responsible for occupational safety, the employee has related obligations, too. Remember to comply with occupational safety instructions, use protective equipment and notify your supervisor or the occupational safety representative of any deficiencies you may detect.