Resigning from the union

If your life changes, you do not have to resign from the union – you can ask for an exemption from the membership subscription

If your life changes, for example, because of full-time studies, parental leave, compulsory military service/ civilian service, or you get sickness/unemployment allowance from Kela, you do not need to resign from the union, but you are entitled to an exemption from the membership subscription for this period. In this case, contact the membership unit or enter the period of exemption from membership subscription in eService.

If you receive a benefit paid by the Industrial Unemployment Fund, your exemption from the membership subscription will be automatically recorded in the union’s membership register.

If you are receiving full-time company pension and/or full-time state pension, please furnish a copy of the decision so that we can check your right to the union’s free membership.

Please also inform us if/when you return to work, so that your membership subscription information is complete.

If you are dissatisfied with the service you receive, please give feedback instead of resigning

If you are dissatisfied with the service you receive from the trade union, please give feedback instead of resigning. We strive to improve our services and operations, so giving feedback regarding our operations is important for us. We work in the interest of our members, so constructive feedback on the work we do for our members is always welcome, and helps us operate even better in the future. Every member is important to us.

If you feel that you are not getting value for your membership subscription, please remember the following membership benefits:

  • Representation in your workplace and the help of a shop steward and, in dispute situations, free legal aid provided by the union. We are promoting your interests and defending your rights.
  • Membership of the Industrial Unemployment Fund and the right to earnings-related daily allowance if you become unemployed
  • Leisure-time accident insurance and traveller’s insurance arranged by the union
  • Trainings and education for members provided by Murikka-Opisto and local trade union branches
  • Tekijä magazine and the Industrial Union’s pocket calendar
  • Events and activities organized by the union and local trade union branches
  • Industrial Union’s holiday cabins and time shares, as well as offers from hotels and cruise line companies
  • Fuel discounts from St1:n and Shell
  • You can find more member benefits here.

However, if you want to resign, do the following

However, if you still want to resign from the trade union and you are not moving to another union/unemployment fund, you will need to submit a written notice of resignation to the Industrial Union.

As a rule/According to the Industrial Unions rules, you cannot belong to the Industrial Union without belonging to the Industrial Unemployment Fund, i.e. if, for example, your new unemployment fund has been authorised to terminate your membership in the Industrial Unemployment Fund, your membership in the Industrial Union will be terminated without a separate notice.

However, there is one exception – if you are not within the sphere of the social security system, you can only be member of Industrial Union. You can get more information about exception by calling the membership services.

If your employer has deducted the membership subscription from your salary, ask your salary paying department of your company to stop the deducting from the date of resignation you informed to the Industrial Union. This is the member’s obligation, and the Industrial Union will not notify your employer separately. Also, check from your next pay slip that the membership subscription has no longer been deducted from your salary to the Industrial Union.

When a member resigns, they are considered as resigned from the date they themselves have notified if their membership up to that date is in order. Otherwise, membership is terminated on the date until which their membership fee / exemption from membership fee information is in order. If there are any deficiencies in your membership, we will send you a consultation on the matter and give you the opportunity to fix it.

Remember that you are always welcome to return to Industrial Union membership if you change your mind!